Thursday, September 9, 2010

Library Love: Hat Heads by Trond Anfinnsen

5 stars!
I love the library! I can't believe something like this institution exists and citizens are allowed to take advantage of all it's benefits. My favorite is when I can make an account on the library's website and request books. Then I wait for an email saying I can pick them up. It's like Christmas! Or shopping! Except everything's free! And you don't need a receipt to return it, even though you've used it.

I borrowed this book a couple of weeks ago. It's Hat Heads: 1 Man + 2 Knitting Needles = 50 Fun Hat Designs by Trond Anfinnsen. I read some reviews online that were mixed, mostly complaining that all the instructions were for the same style hat just with different stripes, circles, colors, etc. I, however, have no complaints. I feel like Goldilocks finding the right chair. If you're a semi-beginner at knitting, this book is just right when it comes to following directions that venture you into that world and it's terminology, like "k2tog." Whaaaaat...? Yea, that's right. And there's also "p2tog." Not to mention "CC," "MC," and "yo." "Yo" is no longer a greeting to me now that I used to say in high school, it means "yarn over," as in to wrap the yarn around the needle.

Back to the book...Great pictures. Great designs. Great idea (The Norwegian author, also known as the "Knitkid," made a different hat for people he knew in his hometown of Stavanger. Every other page features a big picture of the person wearing the hat, a description about him/her, and next to it is the directions on how to make it.) If I was this creative, I would loooove to make a special hat for everyone I know too!
The trial: I let my husband pick out his favorite design in the book (which is the picture above), and I made it for him! The bottom picture is the finished product. I tweaked some directions because I was missing one of the size needles, but it still turned out satisfactory. Handsome handsome! mmuah!

2 comments:

  1. nice looking hat!
    I love the library too! Based on your review, I just put that book on hold. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! that is so impressive with the little stripes. nice job. and way to blog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...